Spring Gardening Tips
Common gardening activities, such as digging, planting, weeding, mulching, and raking can cause stress and strain on muscles and joints. This is especially true for senior citizens and people who are normally sedentary. The following tips can help minimize or prevent injuries.
- Change positions frequently to avoid stiffness or cramping.
- Be aware of how your body feels as you work in your garden. If a part of your body starts to ache, take a break, stretch that body part in the opposite direction it was in, or switch to a different gardening activity. For example, if you’ve been leaning forward for more than a few minutes, and your back starts to ache, slowly stand up, and gently lean backwards a few times.
- Make use of a garden cart or wheelbarrow to move heavy planting materials or tools.
- If kneeling on both knees causes discomfort in your back, try kneeling on one and keep the other foot on the ground. Use knee pads or a gardening pad when kneeling.
- If kneeling or leaning down to the ground causes significant pain in your back or knees, try sitting on a stool or consider using elevated planters to do your gardening.
- Use good body mechanics when you pick something up or pull on something, such as a weed. Bend your knees, tighten your abdominals, and keep your back straight as you lift or pull things. Avoid twisting your spine or knees when moving things to the side; instead, move your feet or pivot on your toes to turn your full body as one unit.
Franklin Regional Youth Lacrosse
As another season of spring rolls through, our staff of Athletic Trainers will be on the sidelines keeping the athletes of the Franklin Regional Youth Lacrosse program safe and healthy. Be sure to wear your ESSMC t-shirt if you are there to watch your son play.
Elite Runners and Walkers Free Educational Series
Our staff athletic trainers and physical therapists will hold a free educational series at Elite Runners and Walkers at their store in the Monroeville Miracle Mile. Below is a list of the upcoming topics.
- Wednesday May 20, 2014.
- 6:30 pm Elite runners in Monroeville.
- Session will look at nutritional supplements, cross training, shoe types, core strengthening, and open to discussion with the participants as to what has or has not worked for them in the past.
Events in the Community
- Plum Chamber of Commerce B2B at the YMCA. May 7th from 5-8 pm.
- Miles of Smiles 5K at Boyce Park. May 30th