Special Offer from Dollar Bank for ESSMC Patients
Health Insurance has drastically changed over the past few years and unfortunately more and more people have to deal with high deductibles and high co-pays. We want to help our patients be able to recover fully from their injury or surgery and thus we have found the solution to the financial burden of co-pays and deductibles. ESSMC, through Dollar Bank, has acquired special preferred financing of 0% Interest for 12 months on a visa credit card for our patients.
Please contact Jan at 412-856-8060 extension 205 for more information
Alter-G Anti-Gravity Treadmill Free Demo Day
As you may have heard, our Penn Hills office now has the “Alter-G” Anti-Gravity Treadmill. The Alter-G’s unique space-age unweighting technology reduces the impact of walking or running to help you heal, thanks to its special inflatable chamber that allows you to walk or run anywhere between 20 and 100 percent of your body weight.
Please come out to our Free Demo Day Sunday, February 22 from 10am-2pm at the Penn Hills office to experience what it is like to “walk on air” and to see all of the benefits first hand. Physical therapists will be present to answer any questions you may have. We hope to see you there!
Call us at 412-856-8060 extension 4 to reserve your chance to experience the Alter-G
Elite Runners and Walkers Free Educational Series
Our staff athletic trainers and physical therapists will hold a free educational series at Elite Runners and Walkers at their store in the Monroeville Miracle Mile. Below is a list of the upcoming topics.
1. Shin/Ankle/Heel Pain in the Runner.
Tuesday March 17, 2014.
6:30pm Elite runners in Monroeville.
Session will explore very common area of pain including Plantar Fasciitis, tendonitis, shin pain, ankle sprains, stress reactions/fractures, and toe pain.
2. Improving Performance.
Wednesday May 20, 2014.
6:30 pm Elite runners in Monroeville.
Session will look at nutritional supplements, cross training, shoe types, core strengthening, and open to discussion with the participants as to what has or has not worked for them in the past.
Snow Shoveling Injury Prevention Tips
- Lift smaller loads of snow, rather than heavy shovelfuls. Be sure to take care to bend your knees and lift with your legs rather than your back.
- Use a shovel with a shaft that lets you keep your back straight while lifting. A short shaft will cause you to bend more to lift the load. Using a shovel that’s too long makes the weight at the end heavier.
- Avoid excessive twisting because the spine cannot tolerate twisting as well as it can tolerate other movements. Bend your knees and keep your back as straight as possible so that you are lifting with your legs. Step in the direction in which you are throwing the snow to prevent the low back from twisting.
- Take frequent breaks when shoveling. Stand up straight and walk around periodically to extend the lower back.
- Backward bending exercises while standing will help reverse the excessive forward bending of shoveling: stand straight and tall, place your hands toward the back of your hips, and bend backwards slightly for several seconds.
Silver Sneakers Lunch and Learn
Come join physical therapist Beth Eckersley at Dean’s Fitness Center in Murrysville on Thursday March 12th at 12:30 as she talks to Silver Sneaker members about common knee injuries in older adults.
Murrysville Community Spring Sprint
Come to Sloan Elementary School to enjoy a 5K Run/Walk to benefit Franklin Regional Lacrosse on Sat. March 21st at 9:00 am.